Where city meets country. Follow me on my adventures and misadventures where I learn how to live life in the country.

Monday, June 18, 2012


Blueberry Nut Bread


Well this past Sunday I was invited to lunch at an amazing lady's home.  She's one of those ladies that once you've met her, you never forget her.  But once this invitation was accepted, I got to thinking...what should I bring?  I mean I can't just show up empty handed.


The one thing I remember most about my dad as a kid, he never showed up to someone's house without something in hand.  Whether it was a potted plant, bottle of wine, or a plate of food; he always brought something.


So there I stood in my kitchen wondering what in the world can I pull together in one day based off of what I had at home.


I searched through all my cookbooks (and there's many) until I found this recipe. 


It's from a very old (about 16 1/2 years to be exact) Betty Crocker Cookbook.  The spiral cover has long fallen off and I've got it held together with string..seriously.  I can't bring myself to get rid of it.  It was the first cookbook I purchased when I got engaged.  I wanted to be that "Betty Crocker" wife.  So there you have it, I'm secretly Betty Crocker in training. 

This recipe is fairly simple and a great way to use all those blueberries that are coming into season.


First start with a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan greased on the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides.  Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl.  In another bowl, mix the eggs, milk and oil; set aside.  Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients stirring until just mixed.  This batter can be lumpy and thats ok.


Fold in blueberries and nuts.


Spoon into your loaf pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.


Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.


It's a simple recipe that's delicious and healthy (you can use unsweetened applesauce for the oil).

And it turns out, wine would have been ok to bring as well.  Note to self for next time :)


Here's the recipe


Blueberry Nut Bread
makes one loaf

3 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 beaten egg
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
3/4 c chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts ( I used pecans this time)

Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3 loaf pan; set aside.  In large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Make a well in center and set aside.
In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, and cooking oil.  Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture.  Stir until just moistened.  Fold in blueberries and nuts.
Spoon batter into the prepared pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool on pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove loaf from the pan.  Cool completely on the wire rack.



I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did~

Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment